Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pork tacos with pineapple salsa

Trevor and I are both trying to get healthy and in shape so I decided that I need to get on the ball and start cooking healthy. I found that planning one week at a time is easiest and my shopping day is Monday so it just works perfectly. Mondays are now meal planning and shopping days and that's all I put on my to do list because it is exhausting to shop with two kiddos.


I made these last night and they were SO good I had to stop myself from eating more than 1.5 servings. It took my about an hour to prepare mostly because I used fresh pineapple and it was my first time cutting one. next time it should only take about 30-45 min. TOTAL. That's a good fast recipe in my book. We had them on small flour tortillas and added lettuce and a bit of sour cream. Also I grilled the pork outside because I don't even know how to broil something. Anyways, today I will actually be eating left overs for lunch and looking forward to it!

Since I now know this recipe is a keeper I took my printed copy and put it into a 3 ring binder that is for our "Dschaak Family Recipies" Hopefully I can keep up with all our favorites so I have something to pass on to Emma when she goes off to college and get's married and needs some inspiration.

Now it's Tuesday...laundry day. oh boy.



Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 2 cups pineapple chunks, diced
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced (didn't use)
  • 1 pork tenderloin, about 1-1/4 pounds, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 package white corn tortillas (10 per package) (used snack sized flour tortillas)

Directions

1. Heat grill or broiler
Dressing:
2. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, salt and the pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil until blended. Stir in cilantro.

Salsa:
3. In medium bowl, combine pineapple, tomatoes, garlic and jalapeno. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Pork tacos:
4. Combine remaining dressing (about 1/3 cup) with the pork in a resealable plastic bag. Marinate in refrigerator about 15 minutes. Grill or broil pork about 6 minutes, turning, or until desired doneness. (I cut mine up into about 6 pieces so it would cook faster) Slice into thin strips, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave 1 minute. To serve, fill a warm tortilla with a few pork strips and some salsa (and lettuce and sour cream), and fold up.
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe 5

  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 343
  • Protein(gm)25
  • Carbohydrate(gm)30
  • Fat, total(gm)13
  • Cholesterol(mg)69
  • Saturated fat(gm)2
  • Dietary Fiber, total(gm)3
  • Sodium(mg)256

http://www.familycircle.com/recipe/pork/pork-tacos-with-pineapple-salsa/

No comments:

Post a Comment