Wednesday, April 3, 2013

{DIY} maxi skirt guide


i found some knit fabric at walmart a few months ago for $1 a yard and knew i wanted to make a maxi skirt! i followed this tutorial and it was actually pretty easy considering i am a beginner sewer and i knocked it out in about an hour. the tutorial is great so i figured there is no point in spelling it all out again. but i do have a few tips to add...
1. measure, measure, measure! I just traced a maxi i already owned and really wished i would have measured.
2. i wasn't sure if i trusted the fact that no hem would be okay but i didn't hem mine and if has not frayed even after wearing it all day on easter!
3. a little extra room is better because you can always bring it in. i wish i would have given myself a little more room around the waist band. again, measure! 
4. with my basic sewing machine i just used a regular needle and a medium zig zag stitch. 
*bonus: i have enough fabric left to make emma a matching one or even a short version of this skirt!

ta-da! my easter skirt! 


and here's my cute little family on easter!





7 comments:

  1. ive been wanting to make one for a while now, i may have to try out that tutorial. however, i'll be disappointed if it doesn't turn out as cute as yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole you did a great job with the sewing! It is so cute! Loved the Easter pics of your kiddos, they are both getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED your skirt! I didn't know you made it, it looked beautiful. I need to try it out and make myself one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely outfit, I love your maxi skirt. It is very decent with beautiful combination. So nice. High Maxi Skirt is easy to dress up for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on the mobile version of your site and don't see a link to the tutorial...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just underlined it so hopefully you can see it/access it! the direct link is http://watchoutforthewoestmans.blogspot.com/2012/07/maxi-skirt-tutorial.html if that helps too : )

      Delete
  6. I'm on the mobile version of your site and don't see a link to the tutorial...?

    ReplyDelete